Woman's Club of Woodbury, Connecticut
Holiday House Tour December 2014

The WCW-sponsored Woodbury Holiday House Tour, held annually, draws visitors from all around the state. Each year, it raises funds for a range of local charities, including the scholarship fund and the community food and fuel bank. This year's tour will include five homes, most of them vintage, all of them delightfully decorated for the Holidays. It will also include a landmark one-room schoolhouse.
 

Advance tickets for our 20th anniversary house tour, to be held on December 13, will go on sale in November. Tickets will be $25 at Woodbury Drug, Canfield Corner Pharmacy, Plant Country, and the Curtis House in Woodbury; at Newbury Place in Southbury; and at Yankee Quilters in Seymour. Visitors will also be able to send a check made out to "The Woman's Club of Woodbury Holiday House Tour," along with a stamped self-addressed envelope to: Woman's Club of Woodbury House Tour, P.O. Box 1014, Woodbury, CT, 06798; please include a phone number.

On the day of the tour, tickets will be available for $30 starting at 9 a.m. at the Senior and Community Center, 265 Main Street South. Also at the Senior Center, ticket-holders will be treated to complimentary beverages and cookies; hot soup and crackers will be sold, as will the WCW’s popular homemade Holiday baskets and other Holiday items. There is plenty of parking at the Senior Center, and restrooms are available.

The homes on the tour will be open for viewing from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Visitors will be asked to bring along slippers, since shoes can’t be worn in the homes. No photography will be allowed in the homes. In the event of a very heavy snowfall that day, there will be announcements on local radio stations; the tour will take place on the following day at the same times, with “home base” at the Senior Center again offering refreshments and baskets. 

Here are this year's five inviting houses and the old Woodbury one-room schoolhouse.

A
The Roderick-Stiles House
J. R. Cordrey & Ryan Fox

881 Main Street South


The house is an original 1812 center hall Colonial. The prior owner, Peter Nelson, renovated the house himself using authentic materials and no power tools. Throughout the house you will see random-width wood flooring with square nails. The charming house features early hand-blown glass windowpanes and a beadboard kitchen ceiling. The original summer kitchen is on the tour.

B
The No 2 South Center District School
Main Street South

This one-room schoolhouse dates back to 1867 and served as a district school until 1900. It has been furnished in a manner typical of a late 19
th century district school and includes many items actually used in Woodbury. The Old Woodbury Historical Society acquired the school in 1977 and completed renovations in 1984; it is now maintained as a museum of early Woodbury education.

C
The Andrew Tuttle House
Daniel Davison
181 Joshua Hill Road

The original Colonial house and barn circa 1780 was built by Andrew Tuttle. In 1960 the house and original shed were connected. The house has four fireplaces and an original ‘coffin’ door, along with a vintage winding staircase to the second floor. The present owner purchased the house in 2012. The redesigned kitchen features Italian porcelain tile counters and backsplash and the original oak floors. The house sits on 25 acres of beautiful forested land accented with a stately red barn.


D
The Elizabeth Abrams House

Heathe
r Paden and Stuart Shaw
20 Mountain Road

This Victorian house was built in 1873 by Elizabeth Abrams. The beautiful wrap-around porch has been restored. The welcoming home has a central fireplace, original leaded-glass windowpanes in the dining room, and interior front and back staircases. giving it a feeling of time past. The second floor bathroom has been remodeled in an old world style with an antique claw foot tub. 

E
The Lilley-Sherman House
Andrew & Martha Sherman
41 East Hill Road

This Dutch Colonial Revival style home was built in1959 and has a special feature: a bomb shelter, installed by Rud and Ann Lilley. The kitchen and pantry have been renovated with granite and wood counters; the center island has an attached hand-crafted African mahogany table. In the pantry overlooking the back gardens is a delightful coffee station. Throughout the home you will see interesting paintings and other artwork. A large natural evergreen tree stands tall in the family room during the Holiday season, decorated with ornaments collected over the years.

F
Ravensrest
36 East Hill Road

This Colonial style house was built in 2002 by Architect Richard Moisan for Linda Nelson Stocks, an accomplished artist well known for her prints and landscape
 cards and calendars. The interior has been redesigned by the current owner in a clean minimalist style and enhanced by an interesting collection of large photographs on the walls. The handsome home has five fireplaces. Square pegged antique teams adorn the ceilings throughout the house. The property has spectacular views that can be enjoyed from all vantage points within the house.




Previous House Tour Homes and Interiors


 
 
Website Builder